|Whole Grain Pancakes|
|This recipe is great on game day! My kids love them and that is saying a lot since they are really picky! You can add chocolate chips if you would like as well! |
|Makes 10 pancakes|
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups whole grain pancake mix (recipe below)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup water
- Oil for griddle
- Separate egg, pour egg white in one bowl and yolk in another.
- Beat egg white with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolk, dry mix, buttermilk, and water. Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- Gently fold egg white into batter.
- Heat griddle to medium-high heat and coat surface with a small amount of oil.
- Pour enough batter onto griddle to form a 5-inch diameter pancake.
- When pancake has cooked on the bottom, flip with a spatula and cook the other side.
- Keep warm in an oven until ready to serve.
|Whole Grain Pancake Mix|
|Makes 6 cups dry mix|
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can use whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
|Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container |
Reference: Lair, C and Murdoch, S. (2002). Feeding the Young Athlete. Washington: Moon Smile Press